Thursday 13 October 2011

SMALL WORLD

Just have to let you all know about this amazing experience today.


I am currently going through some old family "boxes" sorting out things for my Ancestry addiction. In one of the boxes was a citation that I found when we first moved to Wahroonga. It is a CMG awarded to Admiral John Bryan Stevenson. I emailed an ex naval friend who passed on my email to a friend of his in the Naval Historical society. In turn, he passed my email onto a Jo Morrice (who coincidentally worked at Barker - I think as the Burser, while I was there and remember him quite well). Jo, as it happens knows the Admiral's son JP Stevenson (of Melbourne fame) who is now 90 and lives in Burrado not far from Jo!! Jo also served with Steve on one of his Captaincies. 


Jo gave me his phone number, I called a little while ago and had an amazing conversation with him. He was extremely bright and recalled many memories of the house. He had lived there as a child and later after he married.


I can recall being told by my parents after they bought the house that a small area at the rear corner of the house had been called "The bridge" by the former owners. We called it that as children and also through our ownership, even after it became our ensuite! Steve confirmed the story was true. 


Steve asked what had become of the house. I explained that it had been sold and moved to a new site in Millfield - not far from us here in the Hunter!!


Truly amazing.


I will be packing the citation and sending it to him shortly. He wants to see us next time we are in the Southern Highlands. I'm sure there will be many more stories and memories to share. I think it's made an old (90) man very happy.








Sorry about the sideways pics, haven't mastered the turning system yet!



1 comment:

  1. That is very cool Dad! Good on you for calling someone you don't know, I'm glad he appreciated it :)

    ReplyDelete